Bookkeeper Job Description
Overview: South Valley Unitarian Universalist Society seeks an experienced part-time Bookkeeper to handle the day-to-day financial operations of this 150-member church. Our current Bookkeeper was promoted at his main job and is stepping back after a successful four-year run in the position. Our preference is to hire an independent contractor as opposed to an employee. While the position requires 1 or 2 visits to the church facility every week to pick up check requests and invoices and drop off unsigned checks, etc., we prefer that the bookkeeper do most of their work offsite. (We don’t have a dedicated space for the Bookkeeper.) The Bookkeeper may be asked to participate in monthly, on-line, call-in meetings with the Finance Committee. This position is supervised by the Minister.
Compensation: The position pays $15/hour and requires between 5 to 8 hours a week of work, depending on the workload. A flat monthly fee is possible as well.
– Maintaining the journal entries and ledger, classifying all transactions correctly.
– Inputing the annual budget in QuickBooks.
– Handling all the payables and check requests on a weekly basis.
– Processing all cash and check deposits.
– Processing the biweekly payroll for approximately 5 employees.
– Setting up automated clearinghouse transactions for congregants’ pledges.
– At the end of each month, conducting reconciliations, updating accruals, and generating financial statements that provide both a broad overview and detailed reports by department.
– Projecting cash flow every month.
– Tracking individual donations to the church and generate individual pledge reports for tax purposes in January of each year, as well as pledge reports for pledgers periodically.
– Other reporting as needed, including reports to the Unitarian Universalist Association and the payroll reports.
– In all these tasks, adhering to the church’s system of financial controls to ensure transparency and integrity.
– Skilled with QuickBooks and Excel
– Detail oriented
– Unquestionable integrity (All applicants will receive a background check.)
– Able to hold sensitive information in confidence
– Able to respond within two business days to all inquiries
– Stable and kind
– Experience working in church or non-profit settings is valued.
Process to Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter to Mr. Bill Dobbs, email@example.com. References may be required later. No calls, please.